As with all our old timers, the question for us is, “How good was Jack Darragh?” Was he really a great player or was he merely someone who the voters fondly remembered?
In this episode, we examine his case. Listen here:
Jack Darragh’s stats:
- NHL: 1917-21, 1922-4; 6 seasons, 5 quality
- 66G (12th at his retirement), 46A (7th) for 112P (11th) in 121 games (16th); 10 PS (17th)
- At his retirement, Darragh was 13th in GPG, 5th in APG and 11th in PPG (minimum 82-games)
- At his retirement, Darragh was 11th All Time in Offensive Point Shares
- 82-game average: 45G, 31A for 76P
- 3-year peak (1918-21): 24-game average of 18G, 12A for 29P
- Playoffs: 3G for 3P in 11 games
- Adjusted: 89G, 218A for 397P
- Adjusted 82-game average: 60G, 148A for 269P
- Darragh is 5th All Time in Adjusted PPG if the qualifier is set at 82 games
- Never traded.
- 1910-17; 7 seasons, all quality?
- 122G (probably 8th All Time), 16A (as high as 14th All Time) for 138P (as high as 8th All Time) in 132 games (maybe 2nd All Time)
- Darragh is as high as 8th All Time in GPG and PPG, and 12th All time in APG (minimum 82 games)
- 20-game average: 18G, 2A for 21P
- Did not calculate a 3-year peak
- Playoffs: 6G for 6P in 7 games
- Never traded.
- Top 10 Offensive Player (by OPS) twice (’19, ’20)
- Top 10 Defensive Player* (by DPS) once (’20)
- Scored 20 goals once
- Top 10 in Goals three times
- Top 10 in GPG twice
- Led the league in Assists once (tied the single season record), Top 5 twice, Top 10 thrice
- Led the league in APG once, Top 5 twice, Top 10 thrice
- Top 5 in Points once, Top 10 four times
- Top 5 in PPG once, Top 10 four times.
- Top 5 in Goals once, Top 10 three times
- Probably Top 10 in GPG three times
- Maybe Top 10 in Assists twice
- Possibly Top 10 in APG twice, but possibly only once or even never
- Top 5 in Points once, Top 10 three times
- Probably Top 10 in PPG three times [It’s worth noting that though he may have been in the Top 10 he had slightly more than half the PPG of the league leader in all three seasons]
Great Teams (Darragh played his career when the Stanley Cup was still vied for between different leagues)
- Top 3 Forward (by points) on one Stanley Cup Champion (’23 Senators) and one NHL Runner Up (’19 Senators) and on one Stanley Cup Champion when there was no NHL playoff (’20 Senators), Top 6 Forward (by points) on one Stanley Cup Champion (’21 Senators) and one NHL Runner Up (’24 Senators)
- Top 3? Forward (by points) on one National Hockey Association Champion Stanley Cup Runner Up (’15 Senators), Reserve? (by games played) on one Stanley Cup Champion from the National Hockey Association (’11 Senators)