Odie Cleghorn’s brother is a famous Hall of Fame hockey player. Was Odie also deserving?
In this episode, we discuss whether or not Odie Cleghorn has a comparable case to some other NHA/1920s players who were questionably inducted.
Odie’s stats are as follows:
- NHL: 1918-28; 10 seasons, 5 quality
- 95G (12th All Time at his retirement), 34A (19th) for 129P (15th) in 181 games (18th); 15.7 PS
- At his retirement, Cleghorn was 14th All Time in GPG and 17th in PPG
- 82-game average: 43G, 16A for 58P
- 3-year peak (1918-21): 24-game average of 20G, 7A for 27P
- Playoffs: 7G, 2A for 9P in 12 games
- Adjusted: 142G, 177A for 319P
- Adjusted 82-game average: 64G, 80A for 145P
- If the qualifier is 82-games, Cleghorn is 24th All Time in Adjusted PPG
- Released once.
- 1910-17; 7 seasons, all quality
- 135G (6th All Time), 23A (as high as 7th All Time) for 158P (as high as 5th All Time) in 119 games (maybe 5th)
- If the qualifier is set to 82 games, Cleghorn is 6th All Time in GPG, 8th in APG and 7th in PPG
- 20-game average: 23G, 4A for 27P
- Playoffs: 0 points in 2 games
- Traded once at the beginning of his career for cash.
- Top 5 Player (by PS) once (’19), Top 10 twice (’23)
- Top 5 Offensive Player (by OPS) twice (’19, ’23), Top 10 four times (’20, ’22)
- Top 10 Defensive Player (DPS) once (’23)
- Top 5 in Goals thrice, Top 10 four times
- Top 5 in GPG thrice, Top 10 four times
- Top 5 in Assists once, Top 10 twice
- Top 5 in Points twice, Top 10 thrice
- Top 5 in PPG once, Top 10 thrice.
- Top 5 in Goals twice, Top 10 four times
- Top 5 in GPG at least twice, Top 10 at least four times
- Top 10 in Assists probably minimum three times
- Possibly Top 5 in APG twice, Top 10 three times
- Top 5 in Points twice, Top 10 four times
- Top 5 in PPG at least twice, Top 10 four times
Great Team (cup vied over by 3 leagues)
- Top 3 Forward (by points) on one NHL Stanley Cup finalist (’19 Canadiens – series cancelled due to Spanish Flu),
- Top 6 Forward (by points) on one NHL Stanley Cup Champion (’24 Canadiens), and one NHL Stanley Cup Runner Up (’25 Canadiens)
- Unknown role (because nobody scored) on one NHL Runner Up (’23 Canadiens)