Tommy Smith is a player we really had never heard of.
Why? Because he played 10 games in the NHL. He scored 1 point.
But Tommy Smith is one of the best players in the history of the NHA.
Additionally, he dominated every amateur and semi-pro and early pro league he was in.
He probably belongs in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Listen to us talk about Tommy Smith:
Continue reading “Does Tommy Smith Belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame?”
- NHL: 1917-23; 6 seasons, 4 quality[1.By Defensive Point Shares]
- 33G (24th All Time at his retirement), 19A (23rd) for 52P (24th) in 106 games; 10.5 PS (19th)
- At his retirement, Mummery was 23rd All Time in GPG, APG and PPG[2. Minimum 82 games, 24 qualifying players]
- At his retirement, Mummery was 8th All Time in Defensive Point Shares and 25th All Time in Offensive Point Shares
- 82-game average: 25G, 15A for 40P; 8.1 PS
- 3-year peak (1919-22): 24-game average of 10G, 6A for 15P
- NHL Playoffs: 1G, 1A for 2P in 2 games
- Adjusted: 41G, 81A for 122P
- Adjusted 82-game average: 32G, 63A for 94P
- Dominance Quotient: Never led a team
- Traded twice in his prime and traded out of the NHL at the end of his career.[3. Also, Mummery was the largest player (by weight) and he holds the record for most games as a Goaltender by a skater]
Continue reading “Harry Mummery”
- NHL: 1919-21; 2 seasons, 1 quality[1. By modern standards of PPG]
- 22G (25th All Time when he left the NHL), 7A for 29P in 35 games; 1.9 PS
- McCarthy was 17th All Time in GPG and PPG when he left the league[2. With the qualifier set to an absurdly low 35 games]
- When he left the league, McCarthy was 24th All Time in Offensive Point Shares
- McCarthy didn’t play enough games to project an 82-game average or to have a 3-year peak
- No NHL Playoffs
- Adjusted: 25G, 29A for 54P
- Adjusted 82-game average:[3. This is a joke] 60G, 68A for 127P
- Never traded within the NHL.
Continue reading “Thomas McCarthy”
Joe Malone has the highest single season GPG in the history of the NHL. In that season he scored an incredible 44 goals with only 4 assists. Was he the worst puck hog in NHL history or was something else going on? And where does Malone rank among the early hockey greats?
Listen to us discuss Malone’s incredible career here:
Joe Malone’s stats:
Continue reading “Joe Malone”